Sunday, March 13, 2011

Satisfied on a Sunday Morning.

We are going to stay home today. We are not sick.

There. I admitted it. As a pastor's wife, I'm being brave to put that admission into print! Haha...don't worry, I'm not making a cavalier choice. Today, it was needed.

Sophie needed more sleep and mommy attention this morning and AJ is working on going potty in the toilet. And all of his big-boy underpants are in the washer/dryer. Not that he minds going commando, but I didn't feel it would do any favors for the pk reputation if he went to church in said state. Right now, in my season of life with a three and 1/2 year old and an almost 2 year old, those are valid reasons every so often.

I have been thinking a lot lately about how I compartmentalize my life and what gives situations or certain times more of a priority than other situations and times.

Right now, my priority has been to potty train AJ and to help Sophie respond in a Godly, mature way to things that happen (temper issues). The things I do all day long, could really be put in either category. Which can equate to a very. long. day.

As I do both, the verse that keeps coming into my mind is

Romans 2:4 (NLT) "Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?"


I am so thankful for the kindness and grace that God shows me. I know I am in continual need. I am wondering how my mothering would change, how my children would benefit if my care of them was "wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient." How they would respond if my instruction and discipline was ultimately rooted in kindness and patience. Responding to them with the love that God has given me.

I am not advocating ignoring wrong behavior, but I am working on how I handle it because their behavior is only a symptom of their heart state. Is the symptom the most important, or is the overall condition what I should work with? I have noticed lately that Sophie, specifically, is very sensitive to my voice tone and facial expressions. When I discipline is my voice tone and expressions displaying kindness and patience...which will hopefully lead her to repentance.

What is my goal? The quick turn around of symptomatic behavior or true repentance of the heart?

Today I am so thankful for God who is wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient with me. I am praying He will give me these qualities to go through my day.

No comments: