Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Family Mission

Lately I've been thinking a lot about having a family mission statement. Josh has been interviewing with a church, and consequently he has been talking a lot about the programs he likes to run in relation to accomplishing the mission of the ministry.

Most families probably know what they would like to accomplish or how they would like to represent themselves in public. However, when schedules get full and each person is going in a different direction, the mission is often lost under a pile of papers or tucked away with the toys that got frantically shoved in closets on the way out the door.

Without a purposed mission, that is the common goal of every participant, a ministry will fail. I think the same can be said of a family, especially in today's society where the "family unit" is under attack like never before.

As I've thought about this, I decided I wanted my family to purpose for excellence. We are going to be intentional about what we are doing so that our family will be healthy and strong. We will filter our scheduled activities through our mission statement to ensure that we are doing things for a purpose, not just to be busy. When I sign the kids up for an activity, I would like to have an end result in mind that lines up with what we want for our children.

Kintigh Family Mission Statement:

To behave in excellent behavior, showing grace to those around us and to each other while we represent our Father in Heaven. To participate in healthy and edifying activities so that Sophie and Aaron become individuals who know how to love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul, strength, and mind while also loving their neighbor as themselves.


This is a broad statement and our kids are still young. But knowing our goals now will help in the direction of our parenting too. To make it more tangible, we came up with some specific ways that the overall mission statement can be accomplished. You can find this by clicking on the "Kintigh Family Values" tab at the top of this page.

I hope you're encouraged and are inspired to be purposeful with your family too!

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

1 comment:

amanda said...

what a great mission statement for your family!